While it is important to have adequate indoor lighting in a home, good outdoor lighting is also important. Outdoor lights play an important role in keeping your surroundings safe. In the evening, clear exterior lighting makes the house more attractive and underlines the architectural beauty of the structure.
Your home is no longer covered by the shadows, but rather cast in an interesting light, which also increases the attractiveness of the curb. The lighting helps you or other guests to see their way properly and stay safe when visiting after times of day. This will reduce the chance of falls or dangerous people lurking around. When installing your outdoor lighting there are a few factors to consider to ensure that you choose the most appropriate ones:
Some cities have restrictions on the type of lighting that can be used outdoors. So it is best to check with the building inspector in your area to find out the building codes that apply and the outdoor lighting fixtures you can actually install.
You should choose outdoor lights that will beautify and enhance the appearance of your home. You should consider the features of your home before choosing a particular type of light for outdoor use. The size of the structure, landscape style, and other architectural aspects should be carefully analyzed to determine how best to highlight them with the lights.
For the best result, consider using a home lighting specialist or a professional landscaper for better ideas for exterior lighting for homes. A professional will also help you choose environmentally friendly lighting that minimizes energy consumption.
Nobody likes to trip or fall because a sidewalk is not adequately lit. With this in mind, you should install outdoor lighting that adequately illuminates your surroundings to avoid tripping hazards on sidewalks or stairs. The ideal lighting should be attractive but functional enough to provide the required lighting at a great distance. There are many beautifully designed lamps to choose from to blend in with the prevailing architectural style of the building. Other additional spots like the porch, entertainment areas, or a swimming pool should be properly lit to ensure they don’t become a safety hazard.
The ideal outdoor lighting for the home should be bright enough and strategically placed so that spots where lurking may hide are well lit. Floodlights work well for their purpose as they provide stronger glare that is farther away than regular wall-mounted bulbs.
If your home is large, make sure you have adequate outside lighting to allow you to see most, if not all, of the perimeter of the structure. It is best to consult an outdoor lighting expert to find out which lights to install for the size of your property. This way, potential intruders will be deterred from thinking that because of the bright lights, they might be easily spotted.
Many people who wish to do their own outdoor lighting stack the lights randomly or in a way that does not thoroughly illuminate the area. If you need to do your outdoor lighting yourself, you should create a lighting plan so that the lighting circle of each light overlaps. This way, there is a higher chance that all aspects of the exterior of the home will be properly lit. Handling the exterior lighting of a very large house requires a more detailed plan and should therefore be left to a professional.
Outdoor areas that should be properly lit.
There are places that require special attention when installing your outdoor lighting. This includes:
1. The front entrance: This is a central entry and exit point in every house for residents and visiting guests. The front door allows you to identify, greet and record guests who call you so the area needs to be well lit after hours of the day. Two well-made wall lights can be placed on the walls on either side of the entrance to ensure safety and give your guests a warm, welcoming look. Other entrances to the side or back of the house should also be well lit.
2. At the garage: You can mount similar wall lanterns on either side of the garage door or mount a stronger single light above the door. This ensures that the area is safer and safer for you, especially at night. The main rule is to make sure dark spots are well lit to avoid potential hazards. To save energy, you should use photocell-controlled lights that are sensitive to daylight and are switched on and off at the appropriate times.
3. Driveways, paths and stairs: These areas are usually trip hazards, especially the stairs. Therefore, you should strategically install lights in these locations for optimal lighting. This ensures that the householders and visiting guests can safely and securely navigate these locations when it is evening or night. Post lights or custom path lights can be used for this purpose.
For long driveways or paths that are surrounded by bushes, flower beds or other decorative plants, weak lights are better because they emit light in wide, circular patterns. You can opt for bollards that are taller but still provide adequate lighting close to the ground. To avoid excessive glare, it is recommended that your lights have covers.
4. Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs, and Fountains: Creative lighting around pools and fountains is a great way to enhance the overall aesthetic of your home. A lighting specialist could install fiber optic lights on the pool floor and around the edges to create a surreal star effect. LED lights and low voltage lamps are usually preferred for pool lighting because they provide the appropriate ambience. Swimming lights and solar lamps can also be used for these purposes. Remember to check with your local authorities before using to make sure you’re not breaking any building code.
1. Use creative lighting arrangements to highlight trees for stunning scenery.
2. Use moderate uplighting to channel light beams upwards and further highlight your landscape and residential architecture.
3. Focus the lighting on specific areas of interest, e.g. B. the entrance area.
4. Make sure the lights provide functionality and aesthetics by maintaining a balanced arrangement.
5. Try different types of lights for better effect.
6. Plain white lights tend to be more appealing than multicolored lights, which can be a bit glaring.
7. Use photocell controlled lights for better efficiency.
The current trend towards using LED lights
LED lights are the increasingly popular lighting option for most people today, although their high cost and monotonous lighting have made them not trendy in the past. Over time they have been redesigned to create a warmer feel, and prices are now more moderate.
So more people became interested in them. These lights use a lower voltage wiring mode so they are easier to install but still cost more than regular light bulbs. For these additional costs, you get huge savings in your energy consumption.
With the right outdoor lighting at home, your outdoor space can be as safe and inviting as your indoor space. These lights will allow you to observe better security and deter potential intruders. Consider all other factors before deciding on the optimal outdoor lighting for installation. You will be amazed by the improved aesthetics, better security and increased safety of these outdoor lights.