HVAC systems can generate high energy bills, property damage and uncomfortable conditions in the home if not properly maintained.
The cost of the energy needed to run your HVAC system year round is one of the highest costs homeowners pay.
You can’t change the weather, but you can increase energy efficiency and household convenience by scheduling professional service and performing simple tasks to maximize AC power.
Tips to keep your HVAC system running effectively
The best practice for maintaining your air conditioning and heating systems is to schedule regular maintenance at least once or twice a year before the season begins.
During the rest of the year it is advisable to keep track of things so that the system runs with maximum efficiency. The following tips can be used by any homeowner to maintain home AC systems:
- Check your home for air leaks that allow cool air to escape and insulate them.
- Use ceiling fans to reduce energy consumption while maintaining a comfortable temperature.
- Turn down the heating and turn up the air conditioner temperature when you are away.
- Insulate the ducts to prevent air from losing or gaining temperature.
- Check the AC system for clogged water drains that could damage the system.
- Replace the air filters regularly to reduce the burden on cooling and heating equipment from clogged filters.
- Clean up dirt and trim the bushes around the outdoor AC units.
- If ice builds up on the AC unit, you can temporarily fix the problem by turning off the system and allowing the ice to melt.
AC system performance
The performance of your AC system depends on AC repair and regular maintenance. Hiring a professional technician is important to keep all elements of your HVAC system in good working order. The type of service you will need is similar to the service program offered at https://penguincool.com.
During a routine service call, your technician or service team will perform the following services:
All moving components are checked for wear, the wiring is checked for short circuits, thermostats are calibrated and worn parts are replaced. Each area includes compressors, evaporators, blowers, piping and other system components.
Moving parts must be lubricated regularly to reduce friction and avoid wear and overheating.
Air conditioning systems work with refrigerant under pressure. Low coolant levels are caused by a leak somewhere and, if not corrected, can lead to a complete system failure.
Removing dust and debris is important for the mechanical parts of the AC system and piping. The technicians also change the air filters during a service call.
Repair of the AC system
No matter where you live, HVAC systems require maintenance – even in areas where temperatures remain moderate for most of the year. Your AC unit needs regular maintenance and repair to last as long as possible.
Replacing the system is expensive and cumbersome. Planning maintenance and repair work will reduce energy consumption, maximize family comfort and avoid major repair costs.